Monday, June 25, 2007

Submarine Newport!

I was of the notion that golden retrievers knew how to swim from birth? When Newport came into my life I couldn't wait until she was strong enough to take to the beach... All the goldens that I have ever been around love to jump of the dock and fetch sticks or the tossed tennis ball... Being a water dog and being named after the sailing capital of the United States--I have envisioned the day that she would follow me to the beach and swim, like the other goldens do.

Man, I sure have been robbed of my dream... Recently Newport and I strolled after 'doggy daycare' to east bay... She immediately ran after rocks that I threw out into the water... She ran and played and chased the waves...

On leaving the east bay beach... I decieded to walk to the end of the dock for one last look at the water on such a lovely day... Newport was drying out and seemed happy as a clam...

Until..

While walking out the dock, I happened to kick a group of rocks off the end of the dock. Newport immediatly chased them--right off the end of the dock...

Now this is where I feel robbed.. Instead of Newport kicking her paws for dear life, just floated off the end of the dock, submerged about 6", and not moving one bit.

Time stopped... 1 second.... 2 seconds... I looked for a rock to toss at her to get some form of response. 4 seconds... 5 seconds... At this point I was ready to jump.... 6 seconds... 7 seconds...

Finally, Newport started struggling to get her head above water... She attempted a gulp of air which all she attained was water.... Gagging she started sinking again...

By this time, a small armada had arrived to see what was happening... As I grasped for her from the dock , all were shocked when they saw what was surfacing...

A golden retriever who couldn't swim?

Although it terrified me, I take Newport to the beach daily... You'll be happy to know, she is now at least attempting to look like she's swimming... What this equates to is bouncing on her hind legs while fiercly splashing with her front paws. (quite comical to watch, especially when she gets quite deep.... it's like she's riding an underwater pogo stick...)

So, hopefully we'll get it... But in the mean time... any suggestions?

3 comments:

SailRacer said...

Oh my! You must make her into a boat dog! What are you feeding her, bub???

Maybe consult your Golden Retreiver group. If there is a Golden outing, perhaps the other swimming Golden's can show her the ropes.

Red Headed Stepchild said...

It has everyone stumpted... Maybe my dog is as lazy as I am?

SailRacer said...

Ya gotta admit, it is pretty damn funny.

Gotta get her out here to the salt water.. more bouyant!

 
Locations of visitors to this page